Ancora Qui (Still Here)

Posted on | June 4, 2007 | 6 Comments

Due to a mix-up with Orbitz and Alitalia, we are still here in Italy. Unfortunately, this isn’t as grand as it sounds. While we’re grateful for the additional time with my husband’s family, the last two days we’ve been chained to the house while my husband calls (and is often put on hold for 30 minutes at a time) Orbitz, Alitalia, and Virgin airlines. Each passes us to the next company, eschewing responsibilty. Apparently, our original flight for Sunday was canceled altogether and Orbitz (or Alitalia, we’re not exactly sure which) rescheduled us (without notifying us) for an *earlier* flight. Needless to say, we missed it and it’s been a circus ever since.

At any rate, despite the bad weather of the last week, we managed two quick trips (afternoon only) to Como and Milano and stash acquisition was achieved.

First, we went to Milano where I visited the Centro della Lana again and got my skeins of Principessa. They are of a heavier weight than I remember (sport vs. fingering), but I think they’ll still make a nice cardigan. Here they are languishing in the sun in my mother in law’s garden:

The day after that we went to Como, but I’ll save that for another post. Suffice to say, Como is a lovely city. Previously, I had only seen it at night, and I will definitely drag the poor husband out there again in the future (especially since it’s only 20 miles away from his town and parking along the lake is cheap – 1 euro for 4 hours!)

Comments

6 Responses to “Ancora Qui (Still Here)”

1. Veronique
    June 4th, 2007 @ 11:10 am

Sorry to hear that you’re stuck in bureaucratic hell!
    But at least you got to check out the Duomo :)

2. Angela
    June 4th, 2007 @ 2:28 pm

Oh no! That’s terrible…not that being in Italy is so bad!–but hanging around trying to get a flight home is altogether a different deal. Pensavo che gia sarebbe a casa tua….

3. Laura
    June 5th, 2007 @ 3:46 pm

Your photo at the Duomo may not have captured just what you were hoping, but it is still a really lovely photo. Good luck finding your way back home.

4. Anonymous
    June 5th, 2007 @ 5:24 pm

Non posso credere che abbiano annullato il vostro volo. Almeno avete avuti più tempo con la famiglia del vostro marito. Il vostro fratello è molto intelligente e handsome. Arrivederci.

5. EDNA HART
    June 5th, 2007 @ 5:51 pm

Just magnificent! You purchased one of my favorite brands of yarns…that chocolate brown–yum…

6. inkyfingers@att.net
    June 9th, 2007 @ 5:01 pm

What timing to find your blog! I’m going to Venice (3 days), Stresa (1 week), and Milan (2 days) in July. Can you recommend any yarn shops not to be missed? I’m going with 3 other people (all non-knitters), so time will be at a premium. Like you, I’m interested in “local” yarns, not something I can get here. Thanks!!