Super quick trip home…

Posted on | October 3, 2007 | 8 Comments

…and home is the San Francisco bay area which means I got to stop by Artfibers (aka knitters’ mecca) quickly!

Unfortunately, I didn’t have too much time. I was pretty sure I wanted some Hana – a smooth, fingering weight, luxurious plied silk – to make a camisole for a friend. But other than that, I wasn’t sure what else I might want to look for. In the end, I left just with the Hana, but I was also sorely tempted by Rush – a beautiful, painted DK to worsted weight cotton, Tsuki – a slightly thinner version of Kidsilk Haze (one of my all time favorites), and Kurosawa – a soft and brilliant merino silk blend.

The last time I was at Artfibers, the yarn still came in 50 gram balls, but they’ve apparently changed to a 250 gram cone system. They still allow you to wind off a smaller amount (in my case, 150 grams) by yourself if you wish to purchase less, but the best part of all of this is fewer ends for me to weave in at the finishing step!

Here’s my Hana. The color was hard to capture, but it’s a deep magenta or plum. My friend has stunning coloring – jet black hair and creamy porcelain skin – so this color will look great on her.

Comments

8 Responses to “Super quick trip home…”

1. kat coyle
    October 4th, 2007 @ 6:18 pm

gorgeous photos; it really is stunning landscape up north. i’m in california but sooooo far away, years go by between trips up north.

2. Gudrun Johnston
    October 4th, 2007 @ 9:07 pm

It really is a lovely part of California…we managed to get there recently too and the light was stunnning! Commiserations with the Prairie top….what was the mistake? I have to say that making mistakes whilst writing up patterns is something I worry about so it’s always comforting when even the seasoned do it!

3. Grace
    October 5th, 2007 @ 3:10 am

Aren’t you glad that home is SF? I was chatting up another mother about obligatory trips home to take children for visits with their grandparents. She observed that home for us meant places that people go to on vacation, namely SF and San Diego. She has to take her children to Indianapolis and Texas. Good point. I will never whine about that.

4. Veronique
    October 5th, 2007 @ 10:09 am

Oh, you’re going to have so much fun unravelling that tank to reclaim the yarn! It’s like free yarn!
    See you tonight at the Point?

5. Angela
    October 6th, 2007 @ 1:05 pm

That Hana is really beautiful–I love the new color you got, but the variegated pink is wonderful too. Definitely must be reclaimed! I’m jealous of your trip–I love the northern CA coast too. Great photos.

6. EDNA HART
    October 9th, 2007 @ 3:07 pm

Well-You sure had a GREAT TIME. Yarn-Nature-Friends-Yarn-Who could ask for more. Yu sure have some LUCKY friends to receive your knitted goods.
    Answer to you Question: Yes the Surprise Scarf is for wearing by humans—

7. schrodinger
    October 9th, 2007 @ 9:03 pm

I have the same exact yarn that I got on my trip to SF, I can’t wait to knit it up. Shame about the tank.

8. stephanie
    October 10th, 2007 @ 4:34 pm

Are you sure you want to reclaim that yarn and not go through with finishing that tank? It would look so good on you!

Your photos are definitely convincing enough to make me think of moving to the West coast and giving up New York seasons (even autumn).