Nifty Nymph Tee

Posted on | February 1, 2009 | 12 Comments

The new Knitscene is out and I have a design in it. The folks at Knitscene named it the Nymph Tee…maybe to evoke a free-spirited, bohemian vibe? In my files for it, I rather unimaginatively named it dolman. Thank goodness the good people at Knitscene/Interweave have a better imagination than me!

I don’t think it’s a secret that I love set in sleeves, but I thought I should try to branch out a little bit. This is my first dolman sleeved sweater and I liked the shape more than I thought I would. There’s a bit of bunchiness under the arm because of the extra fabric, but it also offers a lot of design possibilities. Stitch patterns can be continued uninterrupted from the neckline to the shoulder to the sleeve. They can be very dramatic (see Melissa’s

Ahhh…much better. Last note… I love the color of the yarn. It’s not a color I would normally be drawn to, but I think I’ll have to make a sweater in this color for myself at some point.

Comments

12 Responses to “Nifty Nymph Tee”

1. mel
    February 2nd, 2009 @ 6:16 am

I think you met this design challenge well – it’s a very flattering little sweater (and the naming thing – pfft. I will never be able to come up with a *good* name!) It’s nice to see your learning process too – I have learned so much in that last week. If I weren’t actually excited about it, I would be so discouraged! ;)

2. travellersyarn
    February 2nd, 2009 @ 9:15 am

I saw this sweater on the preview and loved it! I think that it is gorgeous.

3. emileeknits
    February 2nd, 2009 @ 10:09 am

It’s beautiful, congrats on another great design.

4. craftoholic
    February 2nd, 2009 @ 1:03 pm

That’s a beautiful design!! I have to admit I love the low-cut earlier version because I like layers to show, but I realize it would be difficult to keep the sleeves from falling off. It’s great that you keep wearability in mind!

5. Veronique
    February 2nd, 2009 @ 1:22 pm

What a lovely design! Good job on the collar :)

6. kat coyle
    February 2nd, 2009 @ 1:58 pm

I would definitely wear this. What yarn did you use?

7. gleek
    February 3rd, 2009 @ 10:18 am

very cute pattern, connie! i love the lace around the shoulders :)

8. Angela
    February 3rd, 2009 @ 2:41 pm

I meant to tell you that I saw this on the preview and loved it (and the name suits, I think!). I agree with you, it can be tricky to design for beginners– you did a great job with this one.

9. jillian
    February 3rd, 2009 @ 4:36 pm

For someone who thinks she has alot to learn, you made a gorgeous pattern that I think is equally attractive to beginners and more accomplished knitters! Patterns certainly don’t have to be complicated to be lovely :) I bet it’s harder to make a simple design interesting, though. I love this design – geometric, minimalist, worsted weight :) Yay!

10. badmomgoodmom
    February 3rd, 2009 @ 8:31 pm

Lovely pattern. And I agree with you about the color. Would you call it cement or gray-beige?

11. Maya
    February 5th, 2009 @ 8:00 pm

this is so pretty! good work as usual.

12. yvonnep
    May 9th, 2009 @ 10:12 am

I love this model, it is so chique!