Pattern Slog

Posted on | September 23, 2009 | 6 Comments

desk2
This is the not so exciting view from my desk today. My older laptop is providing me with some background noise in the form of Mulder and Scully (I just re-discovered the X-files and that seasons 1-6 are vastly superior to the later seasons); and I’m trying to work out some charts on my work laptop. The pattern repeat is large, making it hard to size up and down. I’m struggling a bit.

My favorite part of designing is thinking up a design; then challenging myself to work out the kinks to realize it in knitted form; then actually knitting up the sample. The pattern writing, while fun, can sometimes be a frustrating experience – especially if I foolishly let too much time elapse between the knitting and the writing…which is the case here.

Comments

6 Responses to “Pattern Slog”

1. Corvus
    September 23rd, 2009 @ 5:39 pm

X-Files has always been one of my favorite background noise shows for crafty pursuits. You’re right, though; there’s a sharp decline in quality in later seasons.

Best of luck with the not-fun-part of knitwear design!

2. Maryse
    September 23rd, 2009 @ 10:09 pm

Looking forward to see what you are up to! Your patterns are always beautiful!

3. carrie
    September 24th, 2009 @ 8:15 am

i totally agree. but at least you have some friendly x-files company to soften the frustration!

4. Robin
    September 24th, 2009 @ 9:46 am

Interesting!! I would have guessed that designers wrote the pattern first, then knit the sample from the pattern, rather than the other way around!

5. Edith
    September 25th, 2009 @ 12:25 pm

I love the X-files and what better to watch while creating in the studio. I turn on a cool old radio site called Relic Radio for some tails of horror. LOL Your designs are just wonderful I can’t wait to see what you will be designing next. Keep it up.

6. karin maag-tanchak
    September 25th, 2009 @ 10:06 pm

I am subscribing to your blog, Connie! Love your designs. It’s great to re-connect. :)